luni, 15 iunie 2015

REVIEW - A Magic Dark and Bright (The Asylum Saga #1) by Jenny Adams Perinovic


Synopsis:

She meant to help a ghost... not unleash a curse.

Amelia Dupree hasn’t seen the Woman in White since the night her brother died. 

The ghost seems to have disappeared from the woods surrounding Asylum, Pennsylvania—that is, until Charlie Blue moves into the creepy old MacAllister House next door. Amelia can’t help liking him, even though she spent her childhood thinking his grandmother was a witch. And she definitely can’t ignore the connection between his arrival and the Woman in White’s return. 

Then Amelia learns that the Woman in White is a prisoner, trapped between the worlds of the living and the dead. Devastated by the idea that her brother could be suffering a similar fate, Amelia decides to do whatever it takes to help the Woman in White find peace--and Charlie agrees to help her.

But when Amelia’s classmates start to drown in the Susquehanna River, one right after another, rumors swirl as people begin to connect the timing of Charlie’s arrival with the unexplained deaths. As Charlie and Amelia uncover the dark history of Asylum, they realize they may have unleashed an unspeakable evil. One they have to stop before everything they love is destroyed. 

REVIEW:

Can we admire the cover for a second? Ok, thank you! Now let's move on to the review. : )

To be honest I didn't know what to expect from this book, because ghosts books are like fairy book - a hit or miss for me. But I was very intrigued by the synopsis and by the beautiful cover. So, I read it and somehow I almost scared myself.

This book it's not horror, it's more like paranormal, but it has some moments when I was creeped out and I was very aware of what was going around me and especialy what I could or would hear. But this happens *the creeped out moment* because the book is well written and from the first page it gripps you and you want to know what's going on. 

I'm glad that I didn't had expectations, because I really liked it. Sometimes when I have expectation also I make theories in my head and they may or may not spoil me. Because sometimes books can be guessed even if they are not predictable; and that happens when you read a lot, because you start to see the book, you know? You can kinda guess what is going to happen comparing the book with other similar things that you've read. 

So, I didn't do that and to be honest, this didn't remind me of other book that I've read. And I couldn't predict any of the plot twists that hit me in the face. 

I won't talk about the plot, because spoilers, but as I said I really liked it and I really really need to read the second book when it comes out! Because I'm dying! How can you end a book with that cliffhanger? 

Talking about characters, I can't say that they seemed original to me in some way but they are well build, are complexe and I liked reading their story. Somehow I liked even the creepy and bad guy, so. 

I think this is a good book if you like ghosts and you're looking for something fast paced, easy to read, full of action and suspnese, a lot of mystery and a bit of romance aside. But be aware that it can be creepy and try to not read it at night as I did, because maybe you'll have nightmares. And I don't want to be blamed for that! So, go and read it! And please, PLEASE, give me the second book! 


Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read this one!

0 comentarii: