marți, 1 septembrie 2015

REVIEW - Alice by Christina Henry



Synopsis:


In a warren of crumbling buildings and desperate people called the Old City, there stands a hospital with cinderblock walls which echo the screams of the poor souls inside.

In the hospital, there is a woman. Her hair, once blond, hangs in tangles down her back. She doesn’t remember why she’s in such a terrible place. Just a tea party long ago, and long ears, and blood…

Then, one night, a fire at the hospital gives the woman a chance to escape, tumbling out of the hole that imprisoned her, leaving her free to uncover the truth about what happened to her all those years ago.

Only something else has escaped with her. Something dark. Something powerful.

And to find the truth, she will have to track this beast to the very heart of the Old City, where the rabbit waits for his Alice.

REVIEW:

Such a refreshing and awesome read!

After I've read some bad book these days, this one was a huge mouth of fresh air and I had so much fun reading it, from the beginning 'till the end. It's the first retelling of 'Alice' that I've read but it was a good one and I really enjoyed the story. 

To be honest, I liked it more than I was expecting, because honestly I didn't know what to expect. The cover looked simple but intriguing and the synopsis sounded amazing. But I didn't want to be disappointed so I hoped nothing. And I'm glad to tell that I really enjoyed it, it was good and it had no part when I was bored or I wasn't curious to know what is going to happen. 

The writing style is very good, simplistic but it gripps you from the first page, the characters are so well sketched and each voice in special, you can't mix them up and I liked the fact that even if the villains or the secondary characters appear so little, they are described enough, you find out their story and you can see them very well. I felt that each character had its space and role, and no one was there just to take space. And that happens a lot and in a lot of novels. 

Also, I liked the plot, how things went, how the characters dealt with the situations and how we find out what happened before. The present and the past interwine nicely and nothing seemed forced or out of place. And the ending was just the last piece from the puzzle and it sat perfectly. I don't think that this novel has something wrong and I wouldn't change anything. 

Alice and Hatcher are so cool, I mean they are so real and crazy and amazing and I want to meet them. Maybe we could talk and I think it would be so amazing to stay with them or just listen. Or can you imagine how it is to walk with them? Every minute something could happen. Awesome. But I won't talk much, because I will spoil something for you and I don't want to.

Just pick this book up and read, ok? It's so crazyawesomegooodamazingrefreshing and you'll want more. I want more. There's a sequel or something? Please! Highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend this one. It's so crazy as funny and as funny as crazy! Awesome book with crazy people just for crazy people! : ))

Huge thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this one!

0 comentarii: